The most vital cities in the world enable their communities with leading-edge technology that engages, informs, and empowers. Mayor Emanuel’s vision for achieving this is built on a commitment to modern infrastructure, smart communities, and technological innovation. The initiatives in this plan chart a course to realize Chicago’s potential as a city where technology fuels opportunity, inclusion, engagement, and innovation for all.
The following public-private technology plan lays out the path to achieve this vision, highlighting five broad technology-based strategies and identifying current and future initiatives within each of those strategies that together will accelerate economic growth, build educated and digitally-engaged communities and workforce, improve government services, and reduce costs through technology. This plan will:
- 1Enable and encourage major stakeholders in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to focus, prioritize, and coordinate their technology-based efforts to achieve maximum impact for Chicagoans
- 2Describe Chicago’s plans and opportunities for partnering with private companies, universities, and other organizations to build a world-class broadband infrastructure and increase options for digital access across the city
- 3Provide educational guideposts to ensure Chicago’s students and workforce have the skills they need to succeed in technology-driven fields
- 4Help guide communities as they support residents’ digital success and business growth
- 5Demonstrate the path Chicago is on to become the most transparent, innovative, effective, and efficient municipal government
- 6Highlight how our residents are empowered to help create innovative solutions to big city issues
- 7Help guide technology-based investments for entrepreneurs and businesses
Once implemented, the initiatives and programs described in this plan will help accelerate job creation, improve the quality of life for all Chicagoans, generate cost savings in government operations, provide increased digital access and skills, expand Chicago’s STEM workforce, and continue to encourage civic engagement.
Becoming a City Fueled by Technology
The Chicago Technology Plan highlights 28 initiatives within five broad strategies that together will enable Chicago to realize its vision of becoming the city where technology fuels opportunity, inclusion, engagement, and innovation. Two of these strategies are foundational – enabling Chicago’s residents and businesses to be digitally-connected and engaged. Three growth strategies then build on this foundation of technological strength. Together, these five technology-focused strategies provide the path to solidifying Chicago’s place as one of the world’s leading cities.